Cuban Liquor Company was founded by Jacob and Gloria Greenberg in 1934. Emigrating from Eastern Europe, they stopped in Cuba when border restrictions prevented them from entering the United States. After earning capitalist visas, the Greenbergs moved to Shreveport, LA where the repeal of prohibition had just been locally ratified. They began opening liquor stores and named them Cuban Liquor. Over the subsequent decades, their retail businesses thrived and expanded into the wholesale tier of the beverage industry. In 1985, the Cuban Liquor was sold to Rex Smith, friend of the Greenberg’s grandson, Ron Lepow. Smith owned and operated the stores for twenty-seven years before selling Cuban Liquor back to the recently retired Lepow and his wife Marti in April of 2012.